Full Time

The University of West Bohemia is a public university that offers a wide range of study programmes in both Czech and English.

Why study at the UWB?

You have a chance to

  • build your own study programme according to your interests in an international environment with experts from abroad
  • get excellent language training
  • study abroad within exchange programmes and internships
  • get involved in research, and put your knowledge to the test thanks to close links between University studies and research and practice

Experience the UWB

The website "Experience the UWB" will help you with some queries you may have.

Degree students

Are you officially an admitted student? These are the main steps you should take once you have received your letter of admission, and before your arrival:

Visa students

Apply for a Long term visa for a stay of over 90 days or you can also apply for a Long term residence permit. Detailed information regarding the application procedure for visa  and/or for residence  are available on the website of the Czech ministry of Interior.

Information on the visa procedure can also be found on the website of the Czech Embassy in the country of which you are a citizen.

Do not postpone the application for a visa, the visa procedure takes approximately 60 days from the date of submitting the demand at the Embassy.

Health Insurance

You need to arrange health insurance for the period of stay in the Czech Republic.

Visa students  are obliged to submit a proof of medical travel insurance  along with the visa application.


The university provides accommodation on dormitories, registration information and fees can be found on the Management of Dormitories and Canteens. If you wish to stay in the university dormitory during your studies, please note that a refundable deposit and an approximate payment for the first month must be paid for binding reservation - more information available in the Manual for International Students - Procedure for Accommodation Requests in the attached document below.

You can find accommodation in private too.

Student card – JIS card

A JIS card is a student´s identification card at UWB. To receive the JIS card you must fill in the e-application and pay the fee as instructed – please apply for your JIS card before your arrival and do not forget to tick that you are an international student.

Check-in at the dorms

You will sign the accommodation contract with the head of the dormitory at the reception of the university dormitory.

Register your place of residence

 You will register at the Foreign Police – Department of Residence Agenda (stay on a long-term visa) or at the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy (stay on a long-term residence permit) within 3 days after your arrival to the Czech Republic.

You will submit there: health insurance contract, passport, accommodation contract (eventually a copy of the confirmation of accommodation).

Address: Foreign Police – Department of Residence Agenda / Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, Slovanská alej 26, Plzeň.

More information is availbable on the website of the Czech ministry of Interior.

Enrolment for Study

You will be enrolled to study at UWB. The date of enrolment is determined by the faculty you will study.

Picking up the JIS card

You will get JIS card and Orion account details (for internet access) at the HelpDesk.


Accommodation: Please keep in mind that in case you wish to terminate your accommodation at the university dormitories, you will have to fill in the following document "Termination of the Accommodation Contract" in the attached document below.

Please note that there is a 3-month notice period.